Why should you have a first look?
The first look is when the bride and groom see each other before the wedding ceremony. People said it was bad luck not to see each other before the ceremony but the truth is that this was used in arranged marriages so the groom would not back out.
• When you do a first look you can have all the creative photos and family photos done ahead of time. This leads to less stress on the wedding day. You don't have to rush around getting all the photos done between the ceremony and reception missing cocktail hour. If you do the first look you will be able to spend more time with your friends and family before the reception at cocktail hour.
• Will this ruin the moment? No, you are simply trading one moment for another. I personally have seen better reactions from the groom when couples have their first look. It is just the two of them and not a crowed of people staring. lol
• Where should the first look be? This is completely up to you. I recommend you pick the ceremony site or a pleasant area outside with decent backgrounds with some shade.
• Who should be around? I think it should only be the two of you, the two photographers, and videographer. I recommend two photographers because you need to capture both reactions (bride and groom). We typically take about 3 minutes of photos and leave you alone to talk. This is a precious moment and I don't want to interfere. I always tell the couple wave at me when you are ready to take photos. I never want to rush you.
• How is it done? You simply have the groom's back turned and the bride taps him on the shoulder. This is so the photographers don't miss the reaction and you get the full effect rather than seeing each other from a distance.
• When do you get to see the first look photos? You can view them after dinner at the reception when I show the same day edit.
Below are just a few photos from first looks we have done in the past. You should check out our full portfolio of work here Columbus Ohio Wedding Photographers. I just love these moments so much! I am so glad and privileged to have the opertunity to capture these images.
Do you what more tips like this? Sign up for our weekly newsletter!